Tuesday, 23 August 2016
City of Cape Town, Fire & Rescue, has opened their applications for the Seasonal Fire Fighter.
The Contract Post is for 6 months from 1 December 2016 – 30 May 2017.
Remuneration: R 86 283 p/a (R41,48 / hour)
- Minimum requirement is a grade 10 qualification
- 18 years or older
- Be prepared to undergo practical and theoretical firefighting training
- Be prepared to be stationed at any Fire Station within the City of Cape Town
- Be prepared to work shifts
- Previous experience in fire related industry would be advantageous
- Be able to work in a team and cope with stressful situations
Performing a variety of tasks associated with responding to and extinguishing/mitigating vegetation fires, participating in fire safety work and training exercises as well as upholding station and equipment maintenance to ensure the delivery of an effective and efficient service.
Candidates need to pass a Fire & Rescue Service standard physical assessment comprising of the following:
- Reach test
- 2.4 km run (prescribed time)
- Dead load carry
Candidates must also pass a written assessment (Mathematics and comprehension) and a behavioural assessment.
Key Performance Areas:
- Carry out fire-fighting operations under guidance, mentorship and supervision of firefighters and officers.
- Prepare for emergency incidents and protection duties
- Create fire breaks along the urban interface
- Maintain protective equipment
- Perform any other duties as and when required
- Wear protective clothing
- Operate tools associated with the tasks.
- Work 40 hours per week
- Work additional hours/overtime on short notice.
The posts are uniformed posts and due to the nature of the job the incumbents must be physically fit with no cardiac or respiratory abnormalities and will be required to undergo a fitness and medical evaluation PRIOR to appointment.
To be considered for these positions and participate in the assessments, applicants must follow the instructions as detailed below:
No correspondence will be entered into with unsuccessful applicants or with third parties.